Saturday, March 12, 2011

Education is not one size fits all!

Education is not one size fits all. When I was in elementary school I had a difficult time understanding information when it was spoken to me; yet if I was given a hands-on activity covering the same material, I would soak the information up like a sponge. Every student is different and learns in a unique way.

Through substituting, I have realized that the single most valuable ability I possess is the ability to identify each student’s individual learning style—whether he/she is a visual, auditory or tactile learner. After identifying each student’s individual learning style I am able to integrate multiple styles into lessons. Making lesson plans that integrate many different styles ensures that the majority of students will better understand the material at hand.

When I become a teacher, I plan to incorporate more than one teaching style into my lessons, so that no one student is lost during a lesson. If my teachers in elementary school had not given me the opportunity to do projects and hands on activities, I probably would not be studying to be a teacher today.

I believe that I possess the skills necessary to ensure high academic achievement for all of my students. As an example, below is a link to a lesson that I made on Voice Thread in order to teach kindergarteners vocabulary related to location and direction. This lesson uses the spoken word along with visual aids in order to instill the main points of the lesson into children through different senses. The material was also presented in more than one way so that students who did not immediately understand might make the connection when hearing the information or looking at the picture in a different way.
https://voicethread.com/?#q+kindergarten+location+and+direction.b909202.i4909462

No comments:

Post a Comment